Our philosophy of restoring health and vitality is based on the following principles:
- When functioning at 100%, the human body is in a state of ease.
- When functioning at less than 100%, the human body is in a state of dysfunction and disease.
- Dysfunction and disease are caused by internal and external stressors, including: mental, emotional, or spiritual; physical or biomechanical; and chemical, biochemical, or functional.
- Dysfunction and disease can persist for long periods of time without noticeable symptoms, as the body compensates through various mechanisms in its attempt to maintain proper balance and function.
- As function continues to decline and compensation starts to fail, symptoms often appear.
- Symptoms are a clear sign that something is wrong.
- Symptoms are not the problem, they are the result of an underlying dysfunction.
- Just because symptoms are common does not make them normal.
- Treating or suppressing symptoms represents a “bandage” approach, which does not address the underlying cause or causes of dysfunction. For example, inflammation is not caused by a deficiency in an anti-inflammatory medication.
- Treating symptoms without addressing the underlying cause allows dysfunction and disease to worsen, often to the point of irreparable damage and disease.
- Addressing the root cause or causes of dysfunction is the logical and appropriate way to restore proper balance and function.
- When proper support is provided and stressors are minimized or eliminated, the human body has the innate ability to heal itself.
- Regaining vitality requires a new mindset different from the one that led to dysfunction and disease. Put another way, it is not possible to get well using the same mindset that made you sick.
- Education and practical action plans are critical components of a successful health and wellness strategy.